Tuesday, February 14, 2006

How many times am I typing this?

So, the scientific community now believes there are an infinite number of parallel universes, something science fiction writers have been exploring for at least 40 years or more. It never ceases to amaze me how much that was previous science fiction becomes science fact.

It also makes me wonder though. If there are truly infinite universes, that means there are also an infinite number of earths, and since that number is infinite the possibilities of what goes on those earths are also infinite. Does that mean that I have alternate versions of myself typing variations of this same article as I speak? It's possible, but it's also possible that an infinite number of those earths have alternate histories where I never existed, or am already a successful writer, or even possibly off the wall things like the world's top ping-pong player or even a mad dictator. That's the thing, if you truly try to comprehend what 'infinity' is, you really realize how massive it all is, and how small we all really are.

Another thing to think of is if there are truly an infinite number of universes how many of them are trying to contact other universes? In DC Comics, the alternate universes exist in a single space and are only separate due to their being on a different vibratory plane, and if you could somehow attune your body to an alternate universe's frequency, you'd appear there. I believe that's pretty scientifically accurate, since Gardner Fox, the writer who introduced this concept was a total science nut. I remember reading 'Flash Facts' when I was younger, I'd get a neat adventure with The Flash, and also a short science lesson. Good stuff.

Anyway, this entry isn't really writing oriented, just a musing, but it was still interesting for me to talk about. Until tomorrow, don't vibrate away, I still need readers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home