Thursday, January 26, 2006

Utopia or Dystopia?

When I was in school, a lot of reading assignments were books that dealt with the concept of a utopia, or more accurately, a dystopia. I got to thinking the other day, why are there books that feature dystopia as opposed to utopia? Well, the obvious answer is that utopias kind of make for boring reading if everything is picture perfect, but although I am generally an optimist, I have to believe it's really because the way society is now, it just isn't realistic to have a utopia.

There are a lot of people these days and in the past that have utopian ideas, and I think that's great, honestly. Unfortunately, there are those who are opposed to a society where people are truly free and in harmony, this is quite sad, and I don't understand it myself, but that's the way it is.

Maybe it's because as a species, we're still pretty unevolved and some of us would prefer a state of constant stagnation, rather than the uncertainty of positive change. That in itself could make for an interesting story idea, but I don't think I'm up to the Orwellian standards to do such a thing, and honestly, I am too naive to do it, or even want to do it. Anyway, those are my thoughts do with them what you will.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home