Sunday, January 01, 2006

The Shadow of Justice

You'll have to forgive me with this post, I'm going to concoct a short story off the cuff, and as such it may not be as coherent as I would like, but if I am going to keep my resolution to write every day, I'm going to have to contribute something, eh? Ok let's get on with it.

No one can know what I know. Their eyes are averted by the desire to think everything in 'the system' is well and good, but I know better. I know that even with the best of intentions, the law isn't a fair and equitable system If it was, I wouldn't be writing this journal. Let me tell you a tale...

Ever since I can remember, I wanted to be a hero. As a child, I idolized characters like Joe Friday and Perry Mason, and I decided early on that I wanted to be a policeman, As I grew into young adulthood I forced myself to learn everything I could about processes of law, while simultaneously throwing myself into an exercise regimen that some would say rivaled that of Olympic hopefuls. Finally, I reached manhood and at the earliest opportunity, I enrolled at the police academy, and graduated with flying colors, but all was not sunshine and roses...

Shortly after I received my first beat, I was called to the office of the Police commissioner himself! At first, I was thrilled to be bestowed such an honor so soon after my graduation, but soon enough, I learned that things are not always what they seem. Commissioner Eastwood wanted to see me so he could formally ask me what was going through my head when I gunned down two of my fellow academy hopefuls during my training, and how I thought I was going to get away with it! I was dumbfounded to say the least, and protested my case, but the 'evidence' was not in my favor. Apparently my fingerprints were all over the crime scene and the murder weapon, and it was pretty evident that barring a miracle, there was no way for me to prove my innocence.

My entire world crashed on that day, all I wanted to be in life seemed to be a wasted effort. According to the law (and an amazingly fast trial) I was summarily kicked off the force, sentence to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole, and to top it all off, I was disowned by my family. Utterly downtrodden by the entire affair, I didn't even try to fight it, disillusioned as I was. On my way to the federal prison, a strange thing happened. The transport vehicle was hit by lightning, causing it to careen off a cliff, shockingly cracking the framework enough for me to eke my way out, woozy as I was from the crash (cliched, I know, but truth is stranger than fiction). I saw this as a second chance at life, but how would I live my life? How could I? As if in answer, the first thing I saw after crawling from the wreckage was the scorched visage of Lady Justice, on the side of the transport vehicle. It was there and then that my life was given new purpose. The law is dictated by man, and is therefore fallible, but justice is absolute! If I couldn't be a part of the laws of men, I could dedicate myself as a force for justice. The world at large must never know about me though, as in the public's eye I would be thought of as best, dead, or at worst a convicted criminal at large. So from that day on, I'd stick to the shadows... I would be a shadow myself... The Shadow of Justice!


That's it for now, if anyone reads this and wants to see more, I would definitely write more, I know this blog is only seen by a few people regularly, but feedback is incredibly important to people who try to entertain, If I don't know what is liked and what is disliked, how can I improve myself?

1 Comments:

At 1:47 AM, Blogger Peter said...

I thought this was moodily written, nice and to the point. It flowed well and felt like a "proper" origin set-up. Because I'm obsessed with comics, as well you know, I visualized it with rather dark and shadowy noirish art. The very fact you made me visualize it is a good sign ;) I think I'd definitely like to see more of this character, and more importantly, the situations you'd put him in :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home