Thursday, January 12, 2006

Robert Kirkman thinks I suck.

SO last week, Robert Kirkman (who I mentioned was my favorite comic writer currently) wrote in his column Buy My Books that he doesn't like to be asked how to break into the comics business, because the sad truth is that 90% of all aspiring writers suck on ice. At first that really ticked me off, and my gut reaction was, "What a jackass." but now, I think a bit differently. If Kirkman is convinced that the majority of people suck, well, I bet he's probably right. I can't let it discourage me though, even though I may suck at writing now, I won't forever.

I am a bit rusty, not having written regularly since high school, but I know that I am good at it. I also am aware that it's incredibly hard work, but I am ready for it. I have been mulling over what to do with my life for a long time, and though some dreams have come and gone, I have always been imaginative and I have always enjoyed writing, and am willing to give it my all, because it's something I want more than anything.

Anyway, that mini-rant is over. Looking at various forums, other people had the same gut reaction as I did, but I hope that others realize that it was really meant as a kick in the pants, rather than a slight at his entire readership. After all, he wants you to Buy His Books.

1 Comments:

At 3:51 PM, Blogger Jubilee said...

I don't think it was quite a kick in the pants myself. I think he's talking more about the people who post fanfic and think that makes them a writer.

99% of all fanfic is garbage or just like the last one you read. There are a few great writers out there, but for the most part it's a hobby not a link to a future job.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home