Thursday, January 05, 2006

If I had contacts in Hollywood...

I am a big fan of Old Time Radio shows, and there are a few that I like more than any others, and If I knew how, I would certainly pitch them to the right people...

First off, I would make The Whistler a weekly series with a rotating cast, aside from the host, the whistler himself. He knows many things, for he walks by night, yes he knows the strange tales hidden in the hearts of men and women who have stepped into the shadows. In the radio show, every week you'd be told the story of someone who was somehow involved with the wrong side of the law. You see, that was the show's catch, "Even when you know who is guilty, you receive a startling surprise at the final curtain!" Often, the villain would meet a grisly and ironic fate, befitting his crime. It isn't a necessarily grisly show, but I would still probably pitch it to a cable channel first, because they have less restrictions.

The other radio show I would adapt for today's audiences is The Shadow. The only problem with this is that the rights to use the Shadow and related characters is owned by The Conde Nast Publications, who publish magazines like GQ and Vogue (by the by, I really wish they'd do something with the rights). Anyway, the only thing I would keep from the radio show is the Shadow's ability to make himself invisible, because if done subtly, that trick can be pulled off nowadays without looking cheesy. I would set up the show much like the format of Angel, where the Shadow is the leader, but he has a network of agents to help him out, like in the old pulp magazines. In those pulps, the Shadow is a much darker, eerie figure, somewhat aloof, but always on top of things, because as the saying goes: "Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows!"

Ok, that probably could have used a bit more panache, but time is a factor, till tomorrow, folks!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home