Tuesday, January 24, 2006

All Star Superman #2 Review

Another simultanous post, after this if I do a review for my writing of the day I will just hyperlink it.

I am not one of those who will buy everything that has Grant Morrison's name on it, but I have to say that so far, All Star Superman has me hooked. If Morrison can do anything, it's tell silver-ageish stories with a modern flair. As the issue opens, Superman is taking Lois on a tour of his Fortress of Solitude, while she is unbelieving in the fact that Clark Kent is Superman, years of trying to prove that same thing kind of makes Superman the boy who cried wolf when he does reveal his ID, and it's a nice way of turning that tried and true silver age plot device on it's ear. Superman himself is an interesting character in this incarnation, something some naysayers has been lacking in the core Super-titles. While he seems aloof, he's really just trying to show Lois a good time, and simultaneously and very subtly trying to ease the impact of the bombshell he has to drop on her, culminating in a nifty last page surprise that I won't reveal here.

The big draw of this issue, for me at least, was the wonders contained within Superman's fortress. I've always liked issues like that, and I probably always will, I suppose I am just a sucker for fantastical displays.

What can I say about the art? Well, I am certainly not a Frank Quietly fan, and at first I thought his style was a bit too 'earthy' for Superman, but I'd by lying if I said that his take hasn't grown on me. There are a few pages, the last page in particular that captures Superman's boyishly charming and innocent side, that just made me smile. And although I am not a fan of digital inking, Jamie Grant does a serviceable job here, though I will probably always think digital inking doesn't really help to define a drawing. The colors are also not my cup of tea, I think they are a bit too muted/light, but that is just my personal preference.

All in all, if you like old-school Superman, or want to read a story with silver-age sensibilities without the somewhat archaic writing style, I wholeheartedly recommend this book to you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home